Saturday, November 26, 2011

Motivation

Sometimes I have a problem with laziness.  I rarely really liked work although at times is was very fulfilling and I worked hard but I was paid for it too.  School was OK but things like chores are very hard for me to be interested in doing.  Part of it is just getting older.  I was much more interested in doing things in my youth.  I am sure that another part of it though, is developing detachment.
 
If we are motivated by attachment and aversion and you begin to learn how to transcend these, then what is supposed to get you out of bed in the morning?  Do we end up throwing the baby out with the bath water in the sense that we lose taking pride in things and being involved?  Do Buddhists have passion for anything? A story I heard once was about a Buddhist who was invited on a boat ride. As I recall the story it was a day cruise of a local bay. The weather was great and everyone really enjoyed the trip and had fun. The Buddhist made the comment “So is this is what you call 'fun?'” I sure hope that detachment does not mean I can't have fun and enjoy simple pleasures.

One thing Buddhists do that replaces their troublesome emotions is develop compassion.  Part of the training is trying to develop compassion during meditation.  As you become more loving your motivation becomes one of alleviating the suffering of others.  Part of that is to teach whatever wisdom you have gained in life to help others.  Buddhists seem to be very interested in writing and teaching.  I don't think Buddhists do missionary work but I could be wrong.  In some respects I think they are similar to other religions who want to take care of those who suffer.  Say, I was badly addicted to gambling and end up losing everything because of it; I then have an awakening so that I am able to leave that obsession behind.  I can understand how that individual would have compassion for the gamblers still suffering.  They would naturally want to help, they would naturally have an affinity for gamblers.  I think this must be part of the life of people who take this path seriously.  They become aware of their faults (although I am sure they do not describe their sensations as "faults.")  through meditation but they also learn to be self accepting of those faults and naturally learn to be accepting of others.  They are understanding and turn that into a life of helping others where they can.  So as they lose their obsessions they begin to develop a passion for helping others. 

This however, does not explain my laziness. Just because the ex-gambler loses interest in gambling why would they lose interest in everything?    It is not like I had a life full of pleasurable obsessions that caused me a great deal of suffering and I have conquered all that and I am now bored with nothing to do except help others.  Why is it I sometimes have to work my self up to doing some simple household chores.  I have written about troublesome emotions.  Anger and attachment can lead to suffering and we transcend them but without those can life be too empty of the drivers that keep us active?    As far as this little writing assignment I have given myself I am motivated to keep it up.  It has been very helpful to me.  I manage to take out the garbage on Wednesdays and pay the bills every month.  So just how motivated do I need or want to be anyway?  Well, I don't want to spend my life meditating and gazing at the ocean.  Things like returning to my diet and exercise program has been much harder than I thought it would be and I would like to be a little more active and get back on my health program. Does detachment mean I just don't care anymore?

  No, being lazy is pleasurable.  It is great to spend a day doing nothing.  I think this can lead to being attached to that sensation and is an addiction like any other.  Laziness is not the absence of obsession it is an obsession of its own.  I need to treat as I would any other craving.  I need to feel that feeling while realizing that it won't make me happy, that it will just be temporary and that it can lead to a life with some suffering when indulged in excess.  As suffering goes it is not that big a deal and certainly, for good health we need some relaxation and rest.  The problem is if it is done to excess.  I don't really have experience making myself do things I don't want to do.  I suppose most people learn that as teenagers.  If I have a chore and I am in a place that says "I will do that tomorrow" what used to drive me to accomplish it was thinking about the negative consequences.  So I acted out of fear.  I felt like I HAD to do it.  As if it were a life threatening, fight or flight situation.   Now, if I have to do something I don't want to, it feels more like choosing to do it.  It is a little like using will power.   I just grit my teeth and do it.  Once I have started I realize that it is really not that bad and I can usually continue.  

Regarding activities centered around compassion, sometimes I think I should perhaps spend a day a week helping at a shelter or doing some kind of humanitarian service.  Right now I take care of my 94 year old mother but even after she is gone, I don't imagine doing much more than that.  I've got a long way to go before I can be that selfless.           

No comments:

Post a Comment