Monday, September 26, 2011

Diet

Last winter I went on a weight loss program.  I was much more successful than I expected.  I lost 45 pounds and my medication was reduced substantially.  As I entered the summer, I still wanted to lose some more but it was getting hard.  Summer has too many fun things happening that involve food so I decided to take the summer off.  Now, I am ready to restart my healthy eating and exercise program.  What has this to do with Buddhism?  Buddhism can be regarded as a religion but that is not what interests me.  It can also be regarded as a philosophy.  Some of the ideas and beliefs in Buddhism are very important and I want to understand the thinking.  But what is most important to me right now is Buddhism as a school of psychology.  There is suffering.  It has a cause.  By eliminating the cause we can eliminate the consequence.  The cause is our  own  dysfunctioning mind that can never be satisfied and actually seeks out dissatisfaction but can be made healthy through meditation and the development of compassion.  I love pleasure.  I had a fairly normal weight into my thirties.  Then, I just started to gain and gain and gain.  I love the taste of good food.  I will eat much more than I need or want just because it tastes so good.  I do not eat just because I am hungry.  The hunger can be long gone and I will continue to eat because I love the taste.  As I result I gained weight.  This is one example of how our desire can lead to unhappiness.  I want to be happy so I eat, eating makes me fat so I am unhappy.  It is not just the flavor and taste of food either.  I am not sure when this happened but somewhere along the way I picked up the habit of eating when I am lonely, bored or sad.  Eating is comforting and makes me feel better.  It is a little like a mood altering drug.  If I am down I can elevate my mood by having some food.  Again, this does not work.  I want to lift my spirits, I eat, my spirits are lifted temporarily but as I gain weight I get depressed.  I also will get sad and feeling ashamed/guilty because I lost control.  I gave in to my desire and was weak.  So, summertime is over and it is time to get back on the program.  I think there will be lots of opportunities to practice Buddhist principles as I learn about my cravings and needs and desires and emotions.    

No comments:

Post a Comment